Family Suing After Fatal Cameo Nightclub Shooting

  • 4/19/2017 4:02:11 PM
  • Larry Stine
  • Local News

CINCINNATI, OH - Attorneys for the family of an Ohio nightclub shooting victim say they want those responsible for their loved one's death held accountable.

You should be able to go and have a birthday drink without getting killed, you should be able to," says Raquel Mitchell.

O'Bryan Spikes' mom says he was planning to come home early from Cameo nightclub, and go with her to church in the morning.

Now, she is raising his 5-year-old son and helping his two sisters raise his two young daughters.

"He was our man, he was, it was us girls and he took care of him and he was everything for us," Raquel Mitchell says.

Spikes was the first victim in the Cameo shooting last month.

Shot just once, he died inside.

Prosecutor Joe Deters says he wasn't a target.

Tonight, his family attorney is targeting nightclub operator Julian Jay Rodgers, citing Cameo's troubled history.

"I don't think that there's any question," attorney Chris Finney says. "I think that Julian Rodgers as a nightclub operator for many years has been a problem in this community."

We reached out to Rodgers through a spokesperson today.

Finney says he believes what witnesses told us later that day, that for a fee, people could get in and bypass some security.

He says he is starting an investigation, which may result in a lawsuit against Rodgers, the shooters inside and even Cincinnati Police.

"There was a very troubling interaction between the police and the nightclub operator that obviously resulted in the greatest tragedy in the country so far this year," Finney says.

The city and department declined to comment on any pending lawsuit.

Union President, Sgt. Dan Hils told me over the phone today, quote, 'We were just there for presence. We are not doormen, We are not bouncers, We weren't letting guns in. Their guys might have been but not ours. That doesn't make sense.:

There's not much about March 26 that makes sense, period.

"If anybody saw something or if anybody knows something to say something," says Raquice Mitchell, O'Bryan Spikes' sister. "We're not just fighting for justice for my brother or our relative, we're fighting for justice for all victims.

The lawsuit has not been filed yet and the family's attorney says there's no timeline for it.

More Local News

Our top stories from around the area
  • Defendant In Child Porn Case Receives 9-Month Sentence

    • 11/22/2017 5:07:07 PM
    • Jesse Smith
    • Local News

    After pleading guilty to 10 charges out of a possible 35 charges relating to child pornography in October, 32-year-old Nicholas S. Jernigan received his sentencing on Wednesday.

Local News

More stories from around the area